With chapters written by a variety of expert midwives and an increased emphasis on reproductive anatomy and physiology, this new edition assists students and clinicians in understanding not only what to do but why. Updated to reflect evidence-based care, this edition also discusses the pathophysiology of various conditions in the context of normal changes in the reproductive cycle. Also included are numerous new anatomical and clinical illustrations.
In this edition, the skills chapters have been significantly revised and reformatted into relevant chapter appendices to help students, new midwives, and international readers learn essential skills in sequential steps. These critical midwifery skills include performing a pelvic examination, hand maneuvers for birth, delivery of a fetus in breech presentation, and current evidence-based steps for managing a postpartum hemorrhage.
New Chapters Include:
* Professional Midwifery Today
* Mental Health Conditions
* Breast Conditions
* Anatomy and Physiology of the Female Reproductive System
* Physiologic Changes in Pregnancy and Fetal Development
* Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy: Placental, Fetal, and Maternal Adaptations
* Support for Women in Labor
* Anatomy and Physiology of Postpartum
* Anatomy and Physiology of the Newborn